I know you got your shots when you were in school, so you probably think you don’t need any more shots. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. As a mature adult you need to pay attention to recommended adult vaccinations. The following may help you stay current.
After 40 there are some preventative screening recommendations that you should consider if you want to live a full (mostly misery free) life after 50.
- Annual health assessment or previous illness follow up, including height, weight, and blood pressure.
- Colon cancer screening, do one of these:
- Fecal occult blod test
- Segmoidoscopy every 3 to 5 years
- Colonoscopy every 5 to 10 years
* Get an immediate exam if there is rectal bleeding, a change in bowel movement frequency or character, or frequent abdominal pain.
- Annual prostate exam
- Monthly self breast exam
- Annual clinical breast exam
- Mammogram every 2 years until age 50; annually thereafter